Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Away With the Old, On With the New

In keeping with my blogging tradition, I have no images to coincide with my lovely post, so just use your pretty little imaginations (We used them as kids, why not as adults?), at least until I can take some photos! Currently, my schedule consists of: work from about 7:30 - 5 or 5:30, eat (hopefully the housedad has prepared something good), and then work on the house so photos are the last thing on my mind. Tonight, I promise, with renewed goals in my photo taking responsibilities, I will take some photos of the progress so far. Now what are we making progress on now?

Our KITCHEN.

It is simply my favorite room in anyone's home, the center of my life at my own home where I can create beautiful meals and fun masterpieces of delicious desserts. I have been without a good space for a year and a half now, and I told Corey: 'No more. I need my kitchen, and before the holidays end.' That might seem demanding, but if you really know me that well, it's not a surprise at all. Besides the fact that we have been living with mold in the kitchen cabinets since we moved in. Unhealthy, gross, and smelly. I have not been able to make anything remotely wonderful, have had no space for preparation (literally half the cooking process) and so we are finally doing it.

All last week, we moved things out of the kitchen that we would need for the next month and packed everything else. Really, we just moved things because there wasn't that much to pack. We bought a toaster oven, even though Corey was hesitant, have our microwave, two different sizes of crock pots, and we are set. I am not looking forward to doing dishes in the bathtub, but whatever.

Saturday, we demolished. We took our frustrations out on the existing walls and cabinets that have been taped closed since we moved in and scraped debris to our hearts content. Why can the demolition take so little time compared to the building? Part of life's ironies. Monday night, we leveled the floor. Part of the floor was sagging, we knew it when we walked, but I didn't realize just how bad. The lowest part is about 4 inches below what is level!!! That will be fun to try to disguise. We're up to the challenge. Today (Tuesday), Corey is finishing the floor and starting the framing and rough electrical and plumbing. We'll see where he's at when I get home, and get to join in the mix. The biggest blessing to his being laid off is that I get my house done quicker. This afternoon, he is helping move a very special lady out of our ward. Couldn't be happier. For real. I will not join in the fun.

The cats are doing fine and Bo just wants to do whatever we are doing, wherever we are at. He is so funny.

3 comments:

Nancy said...

Good luck with the remodel in the kitchen. I hate going without my kitchen. When we move, I always wait until the last day to pack everything because it bugs me so much not to be able to do my normal kitchen things.

Liz Bowman said...

Yeah, me too. That's why I am so excited to have it done. I have had none of my usual cooking utensils and appliances out since we moved in in May of 2007, and cooking any healthy meal has been a challenge. (Cooking the unhealthy things have been difficult as well!)

Hyde and Beej said...

I agree, the kitchen is a MUST! You can only do so much with a microwave! Haha. Poor Liz. So you have family visiting for the holdays? Or you just put that as a deadline? Either way, Corey has some work to do! GO COREY!
~Heidi