Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Friday, February 8, 2008

The Woes of Life

It has been an interesting last few months. If you thought it would get better, read on, and then think that again! Sorry, it's long and with no pictures.

As I have posted previously, my computer had to be taken back in December because the wireless internet card was not recognized anymore as a component of my computer. Got it back, everything was fine. Started working slower and slower towards the end of January, got advice, made some changes. More computer info in a short time.

Every year towards February, my department at school does this week-long intense design (called a Charrette) for a city in Utah. My first city, about 125 people met in Heber City to help them with a few concerns they had. I don't think they used anything we suggested, but it was great. Last year, we went to areas in San Pete County, once again working intensely on this project that they probably won't use. This year, as a senior, I was in charge of one of the groups, and it was in Logan. I planned on staying the week in Logan so that I didn't have to drive every day. On Monday morning, it was another snowstorm, and I was driving the Jetta when I slid into the back of a truck. My car is probably totaled (still haven't heard), I was okay. For those of you that have been paying attention to our cars lately, you would know that this was not welcome at all. Wrecking a car is never welcome, but it really was not a great thing to have happen now. We had to pay lots of money in January to get it to pass emissions this year, replaced the windshield to pass safety (The next day I drove it to school, another rock chip. I almost swore! Ask Heather) to find out that the safety certificate had already been passed by another shop. Our Jeep was stolen in December, right before the holidays, and we had to pay lots of money to get that fixed and drivable, we had to pass safety and emissions in January on that, and the safety didn't pass, so lots more money later, it is fixed. This currently is our only vehicle, and is such a gas guzzler.

Back to the computer. I need my computer. Plain and simple. I think every employee that works at Best Buy knows that, as do the Geek Squad guys I take it to so frequently. I had to take it back in July, August, and December. The night before the Charrette was due to be done, my computer would turn on, but not completely. I was staying at the home of a fellow senior, who unfortunately has the same computer, and he had this problem over the summer. He said they had to replace the mother board because the monitor was not functioning with the rest of the keyboard. I wish I knew more about computers to understand that, but I trust him. When I took it back in December, they replaced the motherboard. Pardon my sarcasm, but thanks a lot! So, I still was able to get the project done, but only because I had the best grad student adviser I could have hoped for! (I was going to post a picture of the entire project, but only have PDF's, and this will only accept JPEG's or GIF's. If you want to see what I did, email me and I will email you a copy.) I warned Corey that for our date on Friday night, we would spend a good portion at Best Buy, turning in my computer to the Geek Squad, where they don't listen to a word I say because I am a stupid girl, and know nothing about computers. I don't know how long till I get it back. I even asked the stupid (I have been trying not to call people names lately, but he really was stupid.) Geek Squad guy to put in the memo for the HP people that I am extremely tired of taking the blasted computer back to be fixed so often, and that if they did it right this time, it would save them a lot of grief too. He said he couldn't do that. I was patient, but only because I was still on a high from being able to finish my project on time and do so well at it.

**Note to anyone who ever has to deal with the Geek Squad. Don't. Not great people for the most part, or maybe just in Salt Lake. Treat you like you're stupid and know nothing, and then don't apologize when they realize that indeed, you did know that the monitor is not working and that the machine does not turn on (That's is exactly why you took it to them!), that NONE of the universal adapters for the electrical cords will work for your machine, and when you can tell them nearly exactly what has been done each time you have had to visit them.

Frustrating as it is, it is life. It's all these materialistic things that we have just come to expect to work forever, get attached to, and then need to replace. Wish I wasn't so attached. On a good note, I did find out yesterday that I am one of the top seniors, and as a result, I have been nominated to win an Honors Award or a Merit Award from the state chapter of the ASLA (organization to which I belong because I am a Landscape Architect). Now, my senior class has about 26-27 students, and only those in the top 6 get nominated. The odds weren't in my favor, especially when I tell you that nearly half of the seniors get straight A's. I get to present myself to a jury on March 17th. I am last to present, so that is in my favor.

Corey has been good through the whole thing, and despite the impression that I am negative about everything, I really am not. Grateful is actually more like it, because it all happened at once. I have been very positive about everything, just look forward to a slight amount of peace when I have my computer back, and the insurance company tells us about our car. Until then, I keep busy working on my Honor's Thesis, an Honor's Contract, regular school, being Compassionate Service leader, and having time to relax. Just the every day things. I am lucky, and I know it!

We have had some amount of snow nearly every week, usually a large amount in one big storm, with small amounts every other day or so. I am getting good missing it though, as usually, the big storms are on the weekend, and the small ones are Monday, Wednesday, or Friday. For real. I miss most of the driving in the snow! I heard that the snow totals for the mountains and valleys are over 100% above normal, and some areas are more than 200%. Crazy! It sure is beautiful to watch.

1 comment:

Mommy said...

For some reason it always seems that bad things snowball. Sorry you've had bad luck with the cars lately. But things are going well in other areas so that's good. Hang in there and congrats on being in the top of the class.