When I first transfered to Utah State, I was excited about my degree, and some of the faculty encouraged those of us with high enough GPA's to go for an Honors diploma. This meant that we would have to do about 15 extra credits worth of work in some classes more than the required ones, we needed to maintain a 3.5 GPA in our major, and a 3.2 GPA in the University classes. So, at the beginning of our classes, we would choose if we wanted to have that class be an Honors class instead of a regular class, make a contract with the professor to complete an extra project, paper, research, or some other approved form of work. Then at the end of the semester, we would have to turn in our work, the professor would sign off that we had completed it, and we would get an H on our transcript, meaning it is an Honors class. We did not have to do this for all of our classes, just on average one per semester our final two years. We also took two graduate readings classes (I think they should be called discussions instead of readings, but oh well.) and our final semester we had to sign up for our Thesis class. For our thesis, it could be anything we chose, and at first I chose to research the role of a Landscape Architect in zoo design, but was getting nowhere with it, so I switched my thesis topic in the beginning of March of my final semester (Everyone else had theirs mostly done, working on the final touches, so this was not a good time to switch!) and wrote about my travels in Italy and what I studied and learned there. It was much better, but more work in the long run because of the short time I gave myself! I nearly stopped the work towards the Honors diploma, but wanted to finish what I started, and why quit when the finish line is in reach?
The five girls graduating in Landscape Architecture. From left: Jane Robley, Me, Karly Adams, Misty Anderson, and Katie Bateman.
The whole gang that walked in the college ceremony. We are missing two who decided that they did not want to join us, so there are only 24 of us. From the very back row, left is: Professor John Nicholson holding the sign, Nolan Harper, Professor Mike Timmons, Shawn Hurst, and Kirk Dimond (looking into the distance). Center row from left: Chaz Schlange, W. Bryce Ward, Thomas Dunford, Jake Powell, Trent Stroud, Boyd Reschke, Curtis Jay Allen, Steve Ford, Destin Christiansen, Roberto Leo. Front row from left: Karly Adams, Billy Kaufman, Sean Hunt, Charles Brock, Brad Burns, Jane Robley, Katie Bateman, me, Misty Anderson, Kevin Jensen, Chris Astle.We all became close friends, and this was the last time we were all together. We were missing Colter Valcarce and Shawn Bunnell. Fun times.
Thank you to all those who made the effort and sacrifice to come. It was a long day, and I really enjoyed the support and company. Kurt, Mallory and Carson made a surprise visit as well and brought me flowers. I forgot to take pictures before they died, but I enjoyed them so thank you!


3 comments:
Congratulations on your graduation! That is a huge accomplishment.
Great pictures! We are sad that we could not be there with you but we will see you soon hopefully. ;)
Lots of love,
Kevin,Susie and the kids
Congratulations Liz! Now that you have some more free time (mabye?) you guys need to come over.
Post a Comment