Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Culture Anyone?

Can I just say how nice it is to come home from work, with no homework waiting in the wings, looming over me to finish? Since neither of us is in school, it is nice to plan events in the evenings. We are not used to this, since our entire married lives up until this fall, at least one of us has been in school.

On September 11, the Utah Symphony and Chorus get together (not the full company, but members of each) and sing Mozart's Requeim. It is free, and one of the members is in my ward, so we went to support him, plus I had never heard it myself. It was so good! I am going next year as well.

Corey got free tickets for a Tuesday night performance of the musical Cats at the Capital Theater, so we went there one night. Great music, loved the costumes and set, no plot, and neither of us would pay to go again. Free maybe, but no other way.

That Friday night, we also had tickets to go see the O.C. Tanner Gift of Music performance. It was called American Songbook, held at the Conference Center, and was marvelous. I loved it, and would go again if it was possible. We went three years ago to the O.C. Tanner concert, and it was a celtic celebration. Corey liked that one better, but I liked this one better. We went with my friend and his wife, so it was even more enjoyable.

On Saturday night, we went to see Body Worlds at The Leonardo. Hated it, only because there were too many people for the price we had to pay, and I couldn't take my time really looking and studying all the bodies and organs. It was also hot, and some of the body organs were even sweating in their glass cases. I loved seeing many of the body systems displayed in such unique ways, but not being rushed through by the masses of people. In order to get anything out of it, Corey and I decided to pay an additional $5 each to get these listening devices. It would tell you more information than was on the cards near each display, helpful when you couldn't see the cards in the first place.

We were gone so much in the evenings, that I joked with Corey that Bo would fire us from being his 'parents.' He did fine most of the time, but was still needy on the long days alone! Things have calmed down some, so he's forgiven us completely. Such a trusting, good boy.

That's our bit of culture. We are really trying.

2 comments:

Nancy said...

Will and I are hoping to find some time together, but with his schooling (and years more in the future) and all the changes that are happening in our lives, we probably won't get extra time together until we're retired!

Mommy said...

That's why we are glad to be out in DC again where there are so many things to do (and they're free!)
Come visit and we can find lots of other things to do as well.