Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Wednesday, October 1, 2008

House Update

We have been finding more and more time to work on our house remodel. We attribute it to blessings from my new calling, as well as learning to manage our time better. Depending on the project, we don't get much done in the evenings, but the overall work has been great. I don't have any new pictures yet, as we are not done with any of the rooms yet, but they won't be long!

First off, we had painted the walls of the front three rooms a light natural color, and the trim is very dark (think dark chocolate). When we got the trim completely painted, the walls looked white. I went and got a slightly darker paint, and painted only the parlor and coat closet on Saturday while Corey and his dad re-wired the phone, cable, and some other electrical lines. I only got the primer and the first coat done, but boy do I love it. I hope to paint again on Saturday and finish the second coat. Then we will install the rest of the trim around the windows, floorboards, and closet to call the room done, when we will take pictures and post the before (again to refresh your memories) and the new after.

We have also been planning on starting and finishing the kitchen prior to the end of the year. In order to do this, we have been searching endlessly for used kitchen cabinets. KSL classifieds and craigslist have been great resources, yet also frustrating. Right as I would find ones we could afford that looked nice and had plenty to choose from, I would call and they would be sold already. I had this happen to me so many times, I thought I would never get some! I didn't have a set price range, it more depended on what was being sold as to how much I was willing to pay. On Monday morning, Corey happened to look at the KSL classifieds and found some Knotty Maple kitchen cabinets that were advertised for $250 and were only 4 years old. We called on them, they were still available, no picture was posted, so while there was a power outage at work (unknown reason), I drove out there to have a look. I liked them, liked the price, and knew that if we needed more (even though there was a lot), they had been purchased locally. He told me that not only were the kitchen cabinets going, but he was letting us take the countertops (granite-like), the kitchen sink and the faucet. There are problems with the faucet, so we might eventually replace it, but it was such a great deal, I didn't dare pass it up! He kept saying he was just going to take everything to the dump, that he didn't realize people would buy things like that, so I didn't tell him that he could have made so much more money selling everything separate. I just gloried in my good luck.

Can I just say that we are blessed? I have been waiting for more than a year for a good working kitchen, and it feels so much more real now. No, we aren't going to start it until we are done with the parlor and living room, but just knowing we are able to find things that will go in it, at such a good price, is exciting! We will continue to support KSL classifieds, and be patient, knowing that it definitely pays off!!!!

Sorry that my last few posts have had no pictures. I guess we just aren't photogenic people. Soon, I promise.

No comments: