Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Computer Issues, Prep for School


So I have had a computer issue. I purchased my computer the beginning of August 2006. Sometime during the Winter semester of school, my DVD/CD drive would not make CD's or DVD's. I got the chance to take it in finally after our Florida vacation, July 18th. The Geek Squad guy at Best Buy told me that it was a problem with the drive, and they would need to send it to HP, the manufacturer, to get it repaired. I bought an external hard drive to back up everything I had been wanting to put on a CD, and then everything else I did not want lost. The estimated completion date was July 26th.

I was told they would call me when it was done, but two weeks later I still had not heard from them, so I called them. It wasn't being worked on yet. Throughout the following weeks, I called each week, sometimes more than once, each time I got nowhere. This last Saturday, I called the 800 customer service Best Buy number, and got this really nice lady that helped me tremendously. She told me they replaced the drive, and then towards the end of the conversation, she asked if she could give me a $100 gift certificate. I of course said yes. She told me that my computer was sent. I got it in the mail Monday, August 20th. It is not fixed. The same problem exists.

I had Corey drive me to Best Buy with my computer (I was so boiling mad I would not have been able to). I got there around 7 pm, and ended up being there until after 9. The guy working on it did everything he could think of, and still could not get it to work. At least he found out the problem, just not how to fix it. The problem is that Windows XP is not recognizing the drive as a DVD RW, but only a DVD Rom. He said Zach would know how to fix it, but he was not working now. Meanwhile, through this horrible two hour experience, I shed many tears of frustration. Because my computer has been useless to me over the last month, I have had to put off two side projects, one of which I could get up to $500 (the reason the nice customer service lady is giving me a gift certificate. They don't pay for lost wages, but she wanted to give me something). Finally, at the end when this guy said he had tried everything, he told me he could put my information on a DVD for me so I would have the backup I wanted (don't ask me how he was going to do this because I couldn't, and during the 2 hour ordeal, he couldn't either). I firmly told him that I had had to purchase an external hard drive before it was sent out in July, so that I currently have a back-up.

Throughout the night, he was polite, but not as helpful as I was wanting. The computer is currently sitting at Best Buy. I am seriously worried that I won't have it next week when I need it for school, which is why I purchased the thing in the first place. Luckily, the first week shouldn't require too much on it, but it would be nice to know that I have it in my possession when I want/need it. Peace of mind, all I ask. I loathe, despise, hate and abominate computers.

On a positive note, I went to Logan yesterday and took care of many things in preparation for school next week. I had to meet with two professors, one of which, Margie, I had an appointment, the other I was hoping to catch in his office, Dave. Margie did not show up ever, and Dave was. I was able to waive a class because of my horrible internship (not horrible in every aspect, just not a great place to work overall), and that is the class that I could see needing my computer quicker (Construction Documents). I drew for my desk in my studio, finished my financial aid, bought my last book (the others were purchased on Amazon, Yeah!!), got a parking permit, (ouch), went out to lunch with Angela, my former Relief Society President, got a blood test again (antibody test regarding pregnancy problems - I love my doctor in Logan and don't want the stress of finding a new one when this one knows my history already), and even went window shopping. Lots done, missions accomplished.

It is my last year of school, at least for awhile. I am excited, and I want to let you know way early that I am planning on walking for graduation, and that it will be May 2nd and 3rd. I don't know the significance of either day yet, but as soon as I do, I will let you know! I am planning a party, so plan on attending!! Great cause for a vacation.

I am in the process of sorting through pictures about my second day in Italy. The post should be finished tonight! Happy reading.

No comments: