8 years ago
Tuesday, August 14, 2007
First Day in Italy
Okay, are you ready for some reading? Stop now if not. I left for Europe on May 5th, and arrived in London on the 6th. Long flight, extremely tired, yet excited. I was traveling with a friend from school, Katie. She and I had never done this, so it was exciting for both! We only stayed in London for a day, and by the time we were ready to see anything, it was time to eat dinner, and we were so sleepy. No pictures of London that day. Sorry. We left early the morning of the 7th for Rome, and when we got there, we were more ready to see the city, as the time change was only an hour different than London. So we checked in to our convent, and off we went. We went to the Colosseum and the Palatine Gardens. As this was a free day, the entire group did not go, so Megan and Thomas Dunford, Katie, Brad, Luke and I went together. The following are the pictures from that excursion:
This image was taken on our way to the Colosseum. I found it to be very reminiscent of Rome and other areas of Italy, with ruins stuck in the middle of a busy city.
Me in front of the Colosseum. It was greater than I thought it would ever be, and much bigger too!
There were these guys dressed up as ancient Roman soldiers and I thought it was funny. You could pay to get your picture taken with them, but I got a few for free just while we were waiting to go into the Colosseum! Funny.
A great picture of the inside walls and below the floor of the Colosseum. The original floor would have been made of wood and then covered with sand. They were working on the Colosseum while we were there. Constant renovations.
A good view of part of the Colosseum and other Roman ruins. I liked the view of both of these sites. I think the ruins in the distance are part of Hadrian's villa, but I could be wrong. I would love to go back and find out for sure though!
A view of the ancient Roman Forum from the Palatine Gardens. The Gardens were impressive, but mostly in size. They also contained tons of ruins, but they look similar to everything else. It is where important people would hang out during the day. The Roman Forum would have been a busy place, where people met, shopping was done, and parties and other gatherings are held.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


1 comment:
I like these pictures! Very nice! :)
Post a Comment