The second day with the group saw us at my favorite villa and one that I studied prior to the trip, Villa d'Este. It is known for its many fountains, many of which are known throughout Italy. I loved studying it. I couldn't wait to see it, and there I was. It was as amazing as I thought, and most of the time, I was walking around in awe. This was a day on our own, although it was not intentional. (Our professors were taking care of a rental car problem.) Sorry about the numerous pictures, but be grateful I am not posting all 2,000 in this blog! Hope you enjoy a glimpse of it.
Villa d'Este was commissioned by Cardinal d'Este, who had been in line as the next Pope. When he was not chosen, he was sent by the new Pope to Tivoli so the cardinal would not be in the way. Tivoli is about 20 minutes from Rome. Not only was he sent to Tivoli, but he was made governor. As governor, he was obligated to stay in the area, and he couldn't live just anywhere. He also felt he deserved the grandest home, so he had this wonderful place commissioned.
In the middle of Tivoli, near Rome, is this hidden gem. This picture was taken in the courtyard. Above this on all four sides was a balcony that was enhanced by many lemon and orange trees. We once again entered into this beautiful place in the middle of construction and chaos outside the walls.
Once we were able to navigate through the large Villa, we walked out on this small terrace, from which we saw this view. From that terrace we could go either way down huge staircases to a larger terrace, which is seen in the bottom of the picture.
This was another view from the small terrace. This Villa had some of the best views we saw!

On a clear day, Rome can be seen in the distance, but the entire time we were there, it was hazy. Maybe next time!

In honor of many of the Roman arches, this was built on part of the main terrace above the gardens. It is now a restaurant, so if I had been able to go inside, I might have been able to see Rome.

One of the amazing things about this garden that I didn't get in any of the readings is the number of places of recluse. This little area was enclosed under the double staircase. It was such a cool place to get away from the hot sun, especially while we were waiting for our professors. (We spent quite a bit of time waiting for them, but the rental car thing took so long that they just came and picked us back up.) The garden was full of many other forms of these areas, whether it was a created alcove, or a cooler area created by tall vegetation.

Me up on the main staircase, and in the bottom corner is Brett, one of the funny guys on the trip. Behind is the small alcove from the picture above.

This is one of the many fountain areas in the gardens of Villa d'Este. This was a great view of Tivoli below as well.

A close-up of the previous fountain. In the background is a small replica of some of the many ancient Roman ruins.

Probably one of the most famous fountains in Italy, the Water Organ. It used to 'play' music with the sound of air and water going through a series of pipes, however because of age, it no longer plays. The water is amazing though!

A view of the many parterre gardens in the main garden. Boxwood cam be formed and trimmed in numerous ways. I don't know why that tree is at such an angle, but it created some great interest!

Another view of the many parterres in the main garden. There were paths that you could walk through some of these intricate patterns.

A great canopy area that they are trying to train plants to cover. It was a side path through the main garden.

The Water Organ up close. Beautiful and not ruined by anyone else being in it!

A view from one of the many cross paths in garden. The fountain is a smaller one of dragons. I think it was originally supposed to be something else, but it was changed before it was complete. Behind, you can see a glimpse of the incredibly large villa. It was so big, I couldn't get it in one shot!

A view of the back of the Water Organ, and the ponds below. It was cool up above because the water droplets would get you!

Me in front of another well-known fountain at Villa d'Este. This is the Oval Fountain. It used to be that groups would go under the falling water, but they have closed that off now, so it isn't as popular of a place to go. I still enjoyed seeing it!

The Avenue of 100 Fountains. This is another famous fountain, even though technically it is many different fountains. I was able to snap this picture with no one else in the shot, a rarity here! It was built in honor of three rivers that flowed close by, and joined together.

A fan shaped fountain in the top part of the Avenue of 100 Fountains. I found it cool that these people would have been able to create something so long ago, and still have it function mostly as original today.

A view from a hidden terrace, below the main terrace. This is directly overlooking the Avenue of 100 Fountains, and then in the top of the image, you can see the spray from the Dragon Fountain.

The hillside where this Villa and garden were designed is quite steep, so this is a great example of the grade transition between three levels. None of the ramps were too steep because they scissored back and forth. It took up more space, but also created many a unique area for more intimate areas and alcoves.

A view of the Oval Fountain from above.

Another view of the different levels that incorporate the garden. One of the reflecting ponds are seen at the bottom. (top of the picture)

The symbol of the family carved out in a parterre garden off to one side of the main terrace. This was a fabulous garden. When we left, we were waiting for Elizabeth (our professor) to come to the entrance, and she asked us if we had seen the original frescoes that were in the Villa. None of us had, and we begged her to sneak in and give us a short explanation and discussion. She felt bad, but obliged us as we did not want to leave without having some lecture/discussion/learning time from her. She is brilliant, and we were sad that her time was taken away from us this day.
1 comment:
I love all the beautiful fountains and gardens! They are so pretty! Someday when I'm rich, I'll have to have you design something as pretty! :)
Post a Comment